Monday, April 4, 2011

Mentors: Larissa Norman

Larissa Norman is an illustration student at UVU. Her BFA show, called In Transit, will be taking place in fall 2011.


Larissa's Artist Statement:

To me, art is the process of digestion. The inevitable result of a source of food that has been masticated, consumed, and filtered in the body of the artist. Art is the unavoidable excretion of everything taken in and sifted through the body. Art is life scrutinized in the stomach. Bathed in bile and distilled in acid. It is expelled from the intestines and displayed with fascinating humiliation.

My value as an artist and human being is not in flawlessness or beauty but in bringing a distinctive perception to all I devour and filter through myself. Something amusing and awkward is fermented inside me. I most love the figure, in every shape and size. I scrutinize with angular shapes of paint the shadow and light on a body, a situation, or a concept. I expel the digested material of my environment into blissfully embarrassed existence.


Visit Larissa's website!